With most conferences moving to virtual experiences for time time being, it’s likely you’ve already attended one if not several. For many, moving in person events to an online platform made them more accessible and more affordable.
It’s no secret that many of us are experiencing virtual meeting fatigue. However, virtual conferences continue to provide a great opportunity for engagement and education from the comfort of offices (wherever those may be located these days). In 2020, many conference organizers held successful virtual events and even managed to capture some of the networking magic we thought could only happen in person. The LMA Annual Conference hosted a talent show where members performed and at ILTACON volunteers hosted walks around their towns, virtual tastings, and even some stand up comedy.
If you’re attending LMA Tech West this week, consider some of the following to make the most of your conference experience:
- Log on early to familiarize yourself with the conference platform. The LMA Tech West Conference is utilizing Pheedloop which is an all-in-one platform to provide opportunities to participate in sessions and networking, too. Visit the exhibit hall, talk to vendors and other attendees and get the lay of the virtual land.
- Block off the time on your calendar. If your firm allows it, think about adding an out of office message to let your colleagues know you’ll be attending and that your responses may be delayed.
- Review the agenda to identify the can’t-miss sessions. Many virtual conferences provide attendees with access to post-conference recordings and LMA Tech West is no different. One of the unique features of an online conference is the opportunity to engage with session through chat – something you can’t take advantage of in a recording. If your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend every session, think about flagging those you’re really interested in and make a point to attend to ask questions during the live session.
- Engage! If you’re active on Twitter or other social media, use the conference hashtags to share your thoughts and engage with other attendees and the speakers. Think about sharing your favorite takeaways.
- Network! Most conferences have built-in chat capabilities. As a vendor, we love it when people stop by to say hello. It’s okay if you’re not in the market for CRM. Stop by and ask questions. Let us know how the conference is going for you.
- Talk to the speakers. At LMA events, most of these speakers are your legal marketing peers. They’ve put a lot of effort into their presentations. Let them know what you’ve learned and your key takeaways. This is a great opportunity to ask follow-up questions if you didn’t get a chance during the session, too.
- Don’t keep what you’ve learned to yourself! Think about sharing your thoughts on LinkedIn or in an LMA blog. Make sure that your firm knows the value you found in the conference and how you plan to use what you’ve learned.